HyperLocal Collaboration Bar: Foraged Eatery: Chef Amendola Forged Sea Salt from Sapidus Farms with 70% Tanzanian Cacao
Chef Chris Amendola’s commitment to hyperlocal dishes and storytelling led to the creation of this chocolate bar which upholds all the values, including great taste, local community involvement and empowerment.
“To me, being a chef is not about fame and wealth, It’s about being an inspiration, mentor and a voice. I want to open peoples’ eyes to their surroundings and also I want people to be conscious of what they are cooking for their families or what they eat when they go out. We should start by consuming seasonal ingredients and in doing this, this supports your local farmers which is important to your community. Helping take part in making our local community better is a priority. If we all try, our world will be better for future generation” – Chef Chris Amendola
CocoaCompassion® Collaborations give back 20% profit: 10% to a social, economic or environmental initiative selected by our partner. 10% to a cacao growing community initiative.
- Ethically sourced, centrally fermented, cacao from the heart of Tanzania by Kokoa Kamili.
- Roasted, winnowed, melanged and molded by CocoaCompassion® in Baltimore and New York.
- Cacao Variety: Trinitario (Amelonado x Criollo)
- Harvest Year & Season: 2015 – May thru November
- Bean Flavor Characteristics: Initially fruity, with hints of kiwi and green apple, mellowing out to a fairly mild cocoa flavor.
Salt Flavor Profile
- The unique flavor in this bar was found in a local oyster called Happy Oysters.
- Chef Chris Amendola, owner and Executive Chef of Foraged.Eatery in Hampden, Baltimore accomplished this hyperlocal creation by working with the farmer of Sapidus Farms, Mike Manyak.
- Mike shared water from his farm and Chris experimented until he was able to craft his own salt; this is also the finishing salt
- Panela: 100% natural and unprocessed cane sugar.
- Produced and packaged by farmers in the Quimbaya region of Colombia and shipped to Nela® headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland